Tuesday, June 28, 2011

STYLIN' DOGGIE LEASH


I'm forever leaving Tucker's leash in the wrong car or at home! I usually realize this when we get to the dog park and I start searching the floor in the back of the Jeep.
At this point, it would devastate the dog if I were to turn around and drive away from the park!! I've actually taken the strap off a duffle bag I had in the car and used it as a leash - pretty embarrassing!

My point is that I obviously need quite a few leashes. Since I don't like the little skinny ones, I end up paying $15-$18 for a plain 6-foot leash. Ugh!  Well . . . no more! Look at what you can do with around $5.00 worth of supplies:


Here's what you need:
  1/4 yard of fabric  (@ $9/yd = $2.25)
  1/8 yard of fusible fleece  (@ 7.89/yd = $.98)
  1 swivel snap hook ($1.98)
          total = $5.21. And, if you use fabric scraps, you'll only have about $3.00 in costs!


Cut 2 strips of fabric 4" X width of fabric
Cut 2 strips of fusible fleece 2" X 40".

Sew the fabric strips together with a 45 degree seam to make one long strip about 80". Press seam open.



Fold the fabric strip in half lengthwise and finger press to mark the center. Do the same with the 2 pieces of fleece. Matching centers, fuse fleece in the middle of the fabric strip.When you get to the end of the first strip of fleece, slightly over-lap the second one onto the first and continue pressing.


Fold the part of the fabric that does not have fleece over the fleece and press. Do this lengthwise all the down both sides. The raw edges won't come all the way to the middle, but that's fine.



Now fold in half lengthwise, with the raw edges buried inside near the fold and press.



Stitch close to each long edge, making sure to catch all layers. Trim ends, if necessary to a nice clean finish and zigzag to prevent ravelling.

Slip one end through the swivel hook and fold it back to itself. Stitch together with a tight zigzag. Measure 14" from the other end and mark (you can use a pin). Fold the strap end to the pin and zigzag it to the strap to form a loop handle.


There you have it!



The fleece makes the leash kind of fluffy and soft. It has a nice feel to it. Now I need to go make a stars and stripes leash for Tucker. It's almost time for the 4th of July Pet Parade!!

                                                            -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

Still trying to get a good picture of him with one of his new leashes - boy is he camera shy!!



3 comments:

  1. Really cute and easy, too! Great idea for breaking into those fat quarters you've been hoarding Vicki. I expect to see this on Tucker tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I actually thought about making a scrappy one . . . but . . . what if I need a 21" piece of one of those fats for something else and I've lopped off an end for this? I just can't take that chance!

    ReplyDelete